13 projects awarded within “Bahr Bala Plastic” project funded by the EU
Within the framework of the “Lebanese civil society combatting for a plastic-free Mediterranean sea” project financed by the European Union Commission, the Lebanese Environment Forum and Lebanese Eco Movement are pleased to announce on December 2 – 2020 the signature of contracts for 13 new projects awarded from the second batch:
- Comité de Sauvegarde de l’Environnement de Bsharre CSEB in collaboration with green Community and friends of the sea association, “Saving Our Salt” project aiming at protecting Salinas in Anfeh from microplastics.
- Ahla Fawda Association tackling the plastic pollution on Saint Simon Beach.
- Development Inc. SAL in partnership with the American University of Beirut working on a project to upcycle plastics and glass into furniture, using ROGP technology for public spaces in Ras Beirut.
- Operation Big Blue Association implementing a project to establish Beach school and Blue Police at Ramlet El Bayda.
- Youth of Hope Association through the Boat on the river project to clean Qasmieh river from plastic and debris.
- Serepta Association, implementing a project for a plastic-free beach and sea in Sarafand
- ADLC within their initiative called Bi’ati Bayti for communal composting & recycling
- Inmaa foundation in partnership with Jarrah Scouts tackling tackle the plastic pollution on the coast of Qalmoun.
- Live Love Lebanon through their National cleanup program: Coastal edition in different Lebanese coastal regions.
- Lebanese House Establishment for Environment LHEE engaging public and community to change behaviors on plastics.
- Mosawat NGO aiming at reducing single use plastic to protect Beddawi Sea
- Human Environmental Association for Development HEAD aiming at recycling plastic in Monsef and Fidar.
- Vamos Todos NGO, aiming at reducing coastal plastic pollution in Tyre
To mention that “Bahr Bala Plastic” aims to alleviate the negative impact of plastics on fisheries and fishery industry, on tourism and ecotourism and on marine biodiversity through building the awareness of citizens on plastic litter, improving the existing regulatory framework and supporting financially local initiatives from community-based organizations, local associations, universities and start-ups, where eight projects have been selected within the first call for proposals and announced in 8 June 2020:
- Himaya Daeem Aataa HAD Association, targeting the coastal area of Chekka to be clean and free from plastic litter and solid waste.
- Lebanese Developers Association with a project purpose to relieve the sea and coastal shore of Abdeh in Akkar from abandoned fishnets.
- Green Orient Association in partnership with Beam Association to work on reducing the production of plastic waste in the coast of Naameh and Damour.
- Green Southerners NGO in partnership with Aaraya Environmental Association will work on changing behavior and engaging the public in cleaning up beaches and preserving the sea shore in Abbasieh.
- Al Hourouf Association, project for turning plastics into materials used for construction in Nahr Ibrahim coastal area.
- Rawda Al-Fayhaa High School Alumni Association, a project to reduce, reuse and recycle plastic wastes and turning them into artistic pieces for Tripoli streets with the participation of school students.
- Auberge Beity Association, project that aims to improve management and treatment of plastic garbage in 20 touristic resorts located on Jounieh beaches.
- Byblos Ecologia NGO, in a project that aims to reduce marine debris, including ghost fishing nets from shorelines, seabed and sea surface and encourage innovative up cycling of plastic waste in corporation with fishermen, divers and local community in the coast of Jbeil, Nahr Ibrahim, Amchit, Oqaiibe, and Kafraabida.
We made more plastic than all the plastic in history up to the year 2000
العربية (Arabic) English In the first decade of this century, we made more plastic than al…